Buzz the pot bellied pig is looking for a new home. In the meantime he is munching pumpkins at the RSPCA near Wimblington
- Credit: Archant
A rescue pig named Buzz with a penchant for pumpkins is looking for a new home with help from the team at RSPCA Block Fen Animal Centre.
Ten year-old Buzz is a pot-bellied pig who has been through quite an adventure in his lifetime, say the RSPCA, who now want to team him up with this forever home.
Buzz was brought into the care of the charity after he was rescued in July by an inspector from his previous home, where he had not been fed or cared for properly.
As a result, poor Buzz was underweight and suffering from an untreated wound on his back.
Serena Garner, animal care assistant at RSPCA Block Fen, said: “Buzz is a lovely gentle lad and to see him today, you wouldn’t guess he’d had such a rough start.
“He’s such a happy lad now that he is getting regular meals and lots of attention.
“He loves to have a mooch about with us here in the field at Block Fen, and he adores a scratch behind the ear.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 7 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 8 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
“He’s also a big show-off, he actually sits on command - as long as he gets a treat as a reward!”
The staff have seen Buzz’s character shine through, and most recently, his penchant for snacking on pumpkins.
Keeping pigs as pets isn’t easy, and a holding licence is required when taking on a farm animal like pigs, goats and sheep, a spokesman said.
Anyone wishing to adopt Buzz will need to acquire one of these licenses from their local authority.
Serena added: “Buzz is a gentle boy so is looking for a comfy, knowledgeable home where he will be loved and cherished for the rest of his days.
“If you would like to give Buzz the home he deserves, then we’d love to hear from you.
“We usually advise that people keep pigs in pairs or more as they enjoy company, however, Buzz is an exception - though he’d benefit from being able to see other pigs nearby, he’s a little feisty and would prefer to fly solo in his own designated space.”
• For more information about Buzz and to arrange a visit to meet him, please call the centre on 0300 123 0726