How RSPCA inspector rescued squirrel trapped inside lamp post
- Credit: RSPCA
An RSPCA inspector rescued a squirrel who was trapped inside a lamppost after a concerned member of the public called to say they could hear scratching inside.
They told the call handler they could hear the squirrel trying to get out but he kept slipping back down again.
RSPCA inspector Mitchell Smith attended the incident and it is thought the squirrel had probably fallen down the top of the lamp post as there did not appear to be a light fitting at the top.
Mitchell said: “When I arrived at the location I could clearly hear scratching coming from inside the lamp post.
“I decided the best way to get to the squirrel was to take off the front panel and as a result the squirrel dropped down another couple of feet.
“But despite being closer to the ground and having an exit he wouldn’t come out on his own as he was probably still scared by what had happened.
“So I managed to catch him using my grasper - luckily he wasn’t injured despite his ordeal and he ran off straight away.
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 3 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 4 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 5 'Our dog was our motivation’ - couple behind organic dog treats business
- 6 Disciplinary action against anti-Pride pastor ‘never, ever about his religion’
- 7 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Gary takes Dry January to next level with mental health challenge
- 10 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
“While I have had to rescue squirrels from a number of unusual predicaments, I can safely say I've never been called to rescue one from inside a lamp post before.”