How RSPCA inspector rescued squirrel trapped inside lamp post
- Credit: RSPCA
An RSPCA inspector rescued a squirrel who was trapped inside a lamppost after a concerned member of the public called to say they could hear scratching inside.
They told the call handler they could hear the squirrel trying to get out but he kept slipping back down again.
RSPCA inspector Mitchell Smith attended the incident and it is thought the squirrel had probably fallen down the top of the lamp post as there did not appear to be a light fitting at the top.
Mitchell said: “When I arrived at the location I could clearly hear scratching coming from inside the lamp post.
“I decided the best way to get to the squirrel was to take off the front panel and as a result the squirrel dropped down another couple of feet.
You may also want to watch:
“But despite being closer to the ground and having an exit he wouldn’t come out on his own as he was probably still scared by what had happened.
“So I managed to catch him using my grasper - luckily he wasn’t injured despite his ordeal and he ran off straight away.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 6 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
“While I have had to rescue squirrels from a number of unusual predicaments, I can safely say I've never been called to rescue one from inside a lamp post before.”