‘Just what Ely needs’ – The Royal Standard opens new hotel rooms for first time tonight
- Credit: Archant
The Royal Standard in Ely will open the doors to its six new hotel rooms for the first time this evening.
The upstairs of the “quirky” Grade II listed building – which is believed to be 300-years-old - has been transformed from “wasted space” to offer five modern double en suites and one suite room.
Mike Connelly, business owner, said: “We felt that there was a shortage of hotel rooms in Ely, too. Very little money gets spent above pubs.
“This is a huge space that wasn’t being used at all. So it made sense to put some hotel rooms up there and now there are six bathrooms instead of just one.
“It’s looking really smart and one resident who has seen the rooms has said it’s just what Ely needs.”
The addition means increased opening hours too, to cater for breakfast.
“We are now serving food from 7am to guests and the public and have one of the best breakfast menus in town, all cooked fresh to order,” added Mr Connelly.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 4 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 8 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
The Royal Standard is located at 24 Fore Hill.
Visit www.theroyalstandardely.com call 01353 771990 or search The Royal Standard on Facebook for more information or to book a room.