‘Just what Ely needs’ – The Royal Standard opens new hotel rooms for first time tonight
- Credit: Archant
The Royal Standard in Ely will open the doors to its six new hotel rooms for the first time this evening.
The upstairs of the “quirky” Grade II listed building – which is believed to be 300-years-old - has been transformed from “wasted space” to offer five modern double en suites and one suite room.
Mike Connelly, business owner, said: “We felt that there was a shortage of hotel rooms in Ely, too. Very little money gets spent above pubs.
“This is a huge space that wasn’t being used at all. So it made sense to put some hotel rooms up there and now there are six bathrooms instead of just one.
“It’s looking really smart and one resident who has seen the rooms has said it’s just what Ely needs.”
You may also want to watch:
The addition means increased opening hours too, to cater for breakfast.
“We are now serving food from 7am to guests and the public and have one of the best breakfast menus in town, all cooked fresh to order,” added Mr Connelly.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
The Royal Standard is located at 24 Fore Hill.
Visit www.theroyalstandardely.com call 01353 771990 or search The Royal Standard on Facebook for more information or to book a room.