Roy, 85, and Sheila, 79, of Ely celebrate their diamond wedding but still recall their ‘drink or two’ when they first met in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
Diamond couple Roy and Sheila Broker will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary today (Thur).
Roy, 85, and Sheila, 79, met back in the early 1950s in Chatteris, in the Railway Tavern, but their romance didn’t start over the offer of a drink as they both admit that, when they were introduced, they already had “a drink or two in hand”.
At the time, Roy was working on the land in Sutton Gault, while Sheila was working in a hospital.
After courting for a few years, the couple finally married in March Registry Office on July 10, 1954, and they made their home in Sutton Gault.
They went on to have five children – three sons and two daughters – 10 grandchildren and six great grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
The secret to 60 years of wedded bliss, Sheila says, is “having arguments and then having the opportunity to put them right”.
She added: “I have looked after him and he has looked after me for 60 years and we have had five lovely children.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 8 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 9 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 10 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
The couple, who now live in Ely, will celebrate their big day with a family gathering.