Roy, 85, and Sheila, 79, of Ely celebrate their diamond wedding but still recall their ‘drink or two’ when they first met in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
Diamond couple Roy and Sheila Broker will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary today (Thur).
Roy, 85, and Sheila, 79, met back in the early 1950s in Chatteris, in the Railway Tavern, but their romance didn’t start over the offer of a drink as they both admit that, when they were introduced, they already had “a drink or two in hand”.
At the time, Roy was working on the land in Sutton Gault, while Sheila was working in a hospital.
After courting for a few years, the couple finally married in March Registry Office on July 10, 1954, and they made their home in Sutton Gault.
They went on to have five children – three sons and two daughters – 10 grandchildren and six great grandchildren.
The secret to 60 years of wedded bliss, Sheila says, is “having arguments and then having the opportunity to put them right”.
She added: “I have looked after him and he has looked after me for 60 years and we have had five lovely children.”
- 1 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 2 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
The couple, who now live in Ely, will celebrate their big day with a family gathering.