Row over leaders’ allowances
Liberal Democrats attempted to strip East Cambridgeshire District Council s leader and deputy leader of all allowances this week. They claimed that leader, Brain Ashton, pictured, and deputy leader John Humphreys, should not be paid because they had not b
Liberal Democrats attempted to strip East Cambridgeshire District Council's leader and deputy leader of all allowances this week.
They claimed that leader, Brain Ashton, pictured, and deputy leader John Humphreys, should not be paid because they had not been voted into their positions.
The move brought a heated response from Conservative councillors, who branded the Lib Dems, "petty" and "pathetic" but has forced the district council to consider rewording the constitution.
In full council meeting on Tuesday, councillors were considering a report made by an Independent Remuneration Panel and voting on whether all councillors should receive a pay increase.
Liberal Dem, Jeremy Friend-Smith, called for the amendment
He said: "This council is breaking the constitution and we would be making a gesture to Council Tax payers by removing their allowances."
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 3 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 7 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 8 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
Conservative, Philip Read, said: "I find this all petty and pathetic. The Lib Dems are just clutching at straws and wasting council time.