Row over leaders’ allowances
Liberal Democrats attempted to strip East Cambridgeshire District Council s leader and deputy leader of all allowances this week. They claimed that leader, Brain Ashton, pictured, and deputy leader John Humphreys, should not be paid because they had not b
Liberal Democrats attempted to strip East Cambridgeshire District Council's leader and deputy leader of all allowances this week.
They claimed that leader, Brain Ashton, pictured, and deputy leader John Humphreys, should not be paid because they had not been voted into their positions.
The move brought a heated response from Conservative councillors, who branded the Lib Dems, "petty" and "pathetic" but has forced the district council to consider rewording the constitution.
In full council meeting on Tuesday, councillors were considering a report made by an Independent Remuneration Panel and voting on whether all councillors should receive a pay increase.
You may also want to watch:
Liberal Dem, Jeremy Friend-Smith, called for the amendment
He said: "This council is breaking the constitution and we would be making a gesture to Council Tax payers by removing their allowances."
- 1 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
Conservative, Philip Read, said: "I find this all petty and pathetic. The Lib Dems are just clutching at straws and wasting council time.