Aquafest organisers hopeful that summer event will go ahead after Covid-19 lockdown
- Credit: ARCHANT
This year's Ely Aquafest is still planned to go ahead as normal, with organisers saying the event will be "just what the city needs" after lockdown and Covid-19.
The Rotary Club of Ely and the Hereward Rotary Club have decided to plan to go ahead with Aquafest on Sunday July 4 - subject to government guidelines nearer the time.
Viv Doji, chair of the Rotary Aquafest Committee, said: "We feel that the city needs a boost after lockdown and the coronavirus, and that this might suit the bill.
"The event will have all the usual stalls and arenas with entertainment, and we hope, something extra-special.
"In place of a raffle, we will be holding a virtual duck race online, with some great prizes, but more of that later.
You may also want to watch:
"The raft race is also back, so start getting your rafts ready.
"Should July be out of the question then perhaps September might be possible - but we'll have to see how things pan out."
Keep up to date via the Ely Aquafest Facebook page.
- 1 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 2 Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- 3 'Most significant' Fens archive footage in years
- 4 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 5 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 6 Pool memories and 60s celebrities - a nostalgic step back in time
- 7 Letter: Who's been pinching my dog biscuits?
- 8 Young writer's 'wonderful' poem wins competition
- 9 Grandmother crochets 'worry worms' for children to find
- 10 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault