Rotary Club of Ely thanks local people for helping to raise £14,000 for charities
- Credit: Archant
The Rotary Club of Ely has thanked local people for their help in raising thousands of pounds for charities over the last year.
At the end of the last financial rotary year, the club reported that they had donated £14,224 to charities, with more than £10,000 going to local charities.
Some of the local charities who benefited were St John Ambulance, Centre 33, Ely Triathlon, Port Youth Group, Harbour School, Ely Rowing Club, Elysian Riding School, Arthur Rank Hospice Charity, Cambs CC Skills Award, 4th Dimension, Blood Runners, Pos +Ability, MS Therapy Centre, NARA and Rainbow pre-school.
Mike Copping, publicity officer at the Rotary Club of Ely, said: “We think you will agree that this is a wonderful contribution to the Ely area and we couldn’t have achieved this without the generosity of the people of Ely.
“Much of the funding donations came from Aquafest, which is the riverside extravaganza organised by the club together with the Ely Hereward Club and the renowned annual Christmas collection.”
Year 6 school leavers were given ‘Dictionaries for Life’ and children from Highfield School were taken to Wicksteed Park for the day.
The club also bought two Shelter Boxes to send overseas to help victims in major disaster areas.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 9 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
If you would like to join the team of fundraisers, contact the club’s membership secretary, John Dennick, on 01353 662636 or email firstname.lastname@example.org