Gala dinner and charity presentation to mark 80 years of the Rotary Club of Ely
- Credit: Archant
A gala dinner marked the 80th anniversary of the Rotary Club of Ely.
More than 80 people attended the event including guests from other Rotary clubs and president John Mott from the 'mother' club in Cambridge.
During the evening a cheque was presented for £1,231.00 by president Richard Tyler to Linda Neat who represented the Possability charity.
Speaker Rev. Dr. the Lord Leslie Griffiths entertained with an interesting talk.
It was in 1938 that seven members of Ely's business community first met to explore the possibility of being part of the worldwide organisation.
You may also want to watch:
The Ely Rotary Club was chartered in 1939 with the support of the Cambridge Club.
Over the past 80 years the Rotary Club of Ely have raised thousands of pounds for both local and international charities.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
They have also entertained local people with their popular Christmas collection and Aquafest.
The event took place on April 27 at Ely Golf Club.