A TEAM of youngsters are thrilled to bits to be crossing the Atlantic next month to represent Britain in the world finals of a robot design competition. Bottisham Village College pupils Andrew Wightwick, 12 and Eric Wieser, 13, came second in the Lego
A TEAM of youngsters are "thrilled to bits" to be crossing the Atlantic next month to represent Britain in the world finals of a robot design competition.
Bottisham Village College pupils Andrew Wightwick, 12 and Eric Wieser, 13, came second in the Lego Mindstorms UK competition in Birmingham with Andrew's 10-year-old brother Oliver and their friend Luke Sheard from Norfolk.
Their 16in by 12in robot was built and programmed in eight weeks after school, under the supervision of coach and mother of two team members, Catherine Wightwick.
The hard work has paid off now that the four boys will travel to Atlanta, USA, to take part in the world finals, and the team are hopeful they can take the world title.
"They are thrilled to bits," said Mrs Wightwick.
"They haven't stopped smiling since the UK finals."
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 8 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 9 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
Mrs Wightwick said the team, named the TechnoBotts after their home village, are now appealing for sponsorship for the trip, which will cost around £5,000.
"It's a great honour to be going, but it's also very expensive," she said.
The team has already secured some sponsorship from The Institute of Physics, Microsoft and Set Point in Essex, but the team need more funding for their adventure.
Anyone interested in helping the TechnoBotts can contact them via email at TechnoBotts@gmail.com