Robbers flee to Ely after stealing cash box
Robbers fled in to Ely after stealing a cash box containing a large sum of money from a builders’ merchants in Cambridge.
The incident happened at about 3pm on Tuesday (June 8) as a security firm worker was picking up the cash from Ridgeons, in Nuffield Road, Cambridge.
He was attacked by two men who forced the box from his grasp and made off in a dark blue Volkswagen Polo. The car is believed to have turned onto Milton Road and then the A10 to Ely.
It then parked opposite the One Stop shop in West End, Ely, at about 3.45pm. Both men walked away from the vehicle towards St Mary’s Street and Cambridge Road.
The robbers were described as wearing grey hooded tops and grey tracksuit bottoms.
You may also want to watch:
Police have released CCTV stills of two men they want to trace in connection with the robbery.
DC Matt Bailey, who is investigating, said: “I am appealing for anyone who was in the area when this robbery happened to consider if they saw the men described or anything suspicious.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 3 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 4 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 7 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 8 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 9 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
“We know there were people in Ely when the car was abandoned and we have not yet recovered the cashbox. Anyone with information about either of these lines of inquiry should not hesitate to contact me.”
Anyone with information should contact DC Bailey, at Parkside Police Station, on 0345 456 456 4, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.