Rob set to cycle 308 miles from London to Paris as thank-you to Fen House Care Home in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A Cambridgeshire man will cycle from London to Paris in July to raise money for Fen House, a care home in Ely which helped him after he suffered life-changing injuries during a collision.
Rob Cracknell will travel 308 miles in three-and-a-half days in aid of The Disabilities Trust, which provides care to people with brain injuries, autism or physical disability.
After he was run over in Barcelona in 2012, Rob spent three weeks in hospital abroad, three weeks at Addenbrooke’s Hospital and six weeks at Fen House, where he now volunteers weekly, helping sort out the gardens and taking people out for coffee and cakes.
“It’s a pay back thing, and a bit of a new challenge for me,” said Rob, who raised £3,500 for the same charity by running the London Marathon just 19 months after his leg was rebuilt.
“Whilst I was at Fen House the brain injury team talked to me as well as a psychologist. I can see the help they give and how they help you get back on track, so raising money and awareness is the main thing.”
You may also want to watch:
Rob has been in Morocco training for the charity cycle challenge, which takes place from July 19 to 23, by cycling 40 miles a day for five days a row.
Thirty-eight people have so far donated to Rob’s JustGiving page, which has already raised £385 of his £1,000 target.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 10 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
To donate visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Rob-Cracknell3
Fen House is a specialist rehabilitation centre that provides residential rehabilitation for people with acquired brain injury. Opened in 2005, it forms part of the nationwide network of rehabilitation support services provided by The Brain Injury Rehabilitation Trust (BIRT).