Rob’s experiments with landcapes
AN unusual and experimental exhibition portraying landscape through various media is currently on display at Ely s Babylon gallery. Artist Rob Smith uses machines, apparatus and systems to test ideas and experiment over a period of time. The results are p
AN unusual and experimental exhibition portraying landscape through various media is currently on display at Ely's Babylon gallery.
Artist Rob Smith uses machines, apparatus and systems to test ideas and experiment over a period of time. The results are presented in video, collections of objects, drawings, photography and the internet.
Uncertain and fragile, the places and objects that he presents are constantly shifting, yet they are fixed in frames, systems, measurements and logic.
The exhibition, called Around, is a showcase of recent works and Smith's first solo exhibition in the east of England since moving to the region in 2004. He trained at the Royal Academy Schools and has since shown extensively in London and has recently exhibited in Breathless alongside works by Cornelia Parker, the Kettles' Yard Open and The Invention of Solitude. He is currently developing a new digital artwork that will be sited on the Essex coast and researching a commission from the Babylon Gallery.
You may also want to watch:
Smith is part of Escalator, a scheme to promote and support artists in the east of England organised by Commissions East and the Arts Council England.
# The exhibition is free and on display until June 24.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 8 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station