Rob preparing to take on London Marathon for Liam Fairhurst Foundation
- Credit: Archant
A man who has been inspired by the courage of a youngster from Wicken who has a terminal brain tumour is hoping to raise thousands of pounds for the Liam Fairhurst Foundation.
Rob Monk has been a friend of the Lister family for 10 years and has seen first hand the support provided to Alex by the Soham-based foundation.
Alex was just seven-years-old when he was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour.
The tumour, which was about the size of a small pear, was removed in November 2010 and Alex then underwent courses of both chemo and radio therapy, but six months later Alex’s parents Mark and Annalise received the devastating news that their son’s cancer had returned and was now inoperable.
Mr Monk said: “Alex has had to come to terms with his illness and the disabilities caused as a result. The tumour has left him with speech, hearing and learning difficulties as well as a loss of mobility down his right hand side.
Although he remains palliative, Alex has received excellent care from Addenbrooke’s Hospital and against the odds his tumour appears to have stabilised – at least for the time being.”
Since Alex’s diagnosis, the family has been helped by the Liam Fairhurst Foundation, a Soham-based charity which helps disadvantaged young people, especially those affected by cancer and disabilities, including their siblings.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
Mr Monk said: “I have had the privilege of knowing Mark & Annalise Lister for the past 10 years and their strength and integrity throughout everything that they have had to see their son Alex endure, as well as the emotional journey that I have seen them go through and continue to be on, has for me been a truly humbling experience.
“It is the strength of people like Mark, Annalise, Alex and Daniel Lister that inspires me.”
Mr Monk will be raising money for the Liam Fairhurst Foundation by taking part in the London Marathon.
To date he has raised more than £1,400 but has set his sights higher and is welcoming as many donations as possible.
To sponsor Mr Monk, visit https://www.justgiving.com/Rob-Monk