Road safety is key for Robert Arkenstall pupils after Mick George pays them a visit
- Credit: Archant
Robert Arkenstall Primary is aiming to stay safe on the roads of Haddenham after becoming the most recent school to get involved in construction suppliers Mick George’s campaign.
Dominic Sharp, head teacher at Robert Arkenstall Primary School, said: “The visit perfectly complimented the recent Bikeability course undertaken by the children. They gained an excellent understanding of how vulnerable cyclists can be on the road. They enjoyed the view from the cab and realised the dangers of being in the driver’s blind spot.”
Pupils from Years five and six were delighted to have the opportunity to sit in the cab of a Grab Lorry and see things from the driver’s perspective. A question and answer session followed which reinforced pupils’ learning, understanding what and where blind spots are to better appreciate the dangers of sharing the road with large trucks and lorries.
The children were left with some road safety aids, including a Mick George Ltd & TruckEast sponsored hi-viz vest to wear when out walking and cycling on the region’s roads, as well as illuminous wrist bands and educational packs to revisit the topic at a later stage.
Jon Stump, Finance Director at Mick George Ltd said: “The road safety campaign has grown in demand since its launch late last year. More and more schools are approaching us with the prospect of us demonstrating the various aspects and importance of carefully approaching the regions roads when in the vicinity of large commercial vehicles.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stump continued: “We are currently extending our commitment to safer roads in and around Haddenham village with the sponsorship of a Community Roadwatch, voluntary no drive zones and introducing a reduced advisory speed limit of 20mph for all HGV’s.”
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 9 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months