Road Closed in Soham After Blaze On Former School Site
A FIRE on the Old Grammar School site in Soham prompted the emergency services to close the main road on Friday afternoon – just before the school run. Ely and Soham fire crews arrived at 3pm to find a well-established fire on the ground floor of the fo
A FIRE on the Old Grammar School site in Soham prompted the emergency services to close the main road on Friday afternoon - just before the school run.
Ely and Soham fire crews arrived at 3pm to find a well-established fire on the ground floor of the former school on Church Street and the building filled with smoke.
The fire is being treated as suspicious.
A spokesperson for the Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: "A fire investigation is ongoing by the fire service together with scenes of crime officers from the police."
Residents have frequently complained about the squalid state of the front of the site, which is full of discarded rubbish - and some have even made claims that the area was being squatted. Soham county councillor John Powley told the public earlier this year that he was continuing his campaign for the site to be cleaned up.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’