Road Closed in Soham After Blaze On Former School Site
A FIRE on the Old Grammar School site in Soham prompted the emergency services to close the main road on Friday afternoon – just before the school run. Ely and Soham fire crews arrived at 3pm to find a well-established fire on the ground floor of the fo
A FIRE on the Old Grammar School site in Soham prompted the emergency services to close the main road on Friday afternoon - just before the school run.
Ely and Soham fire crews arrived at 3pm to find a well-established fire on the ground floor of the former school on Church Street and the building filled with smoke.
The fire is being treated as suspicious.
A spokesperson for the Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: "A fire investigation is ongoing by the fire service together with scenes of crime officers from the police."
You may also want to watch:
Residents have frequently complained about the squalid state of the front of the site, which is full of discarded rubbish - and some have even made claims that the area was being squatted. Soham county councillor John Powley told the public earlier this year that he was continuing his campaign for the site to be cleaned up.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment