Richard joins the ranks as on on-call firefighter for Ely
- Credit: Archant
Richard Rowe’s day job as a full-time sales assistant for a plumbing supplies merchant could not be a further cry from his new position as an on-call firefighter.
The 24-year-old completed his training for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service this week and is eagerly awaiting his first call.
The Liverpool Football Club fan, who has played football locally for Mepal, will be based at Ely’s fire station, in Egremont Street.
On-call firefighters are trained professionals who respond to emergencies in their communities alongside their day-to-day lives.
They may be at home, work or out and about when they receive a pager alert and straight away they must jump into action and get ready to deal with any incident.
You may also want to watch:
The new recruits are now on-call after completing three months of training at the service’s training centre, in Huntingdon.
On-call firefighters have to be aged 18 and over, have a good level of all-round fitness and live or work within five minutes travelling time of an on-call fire station.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service is recruiting on-call firefighters. To find out more call 01480 444500.