Richard joins the ranks as on on-call firefighter for Ely
- Credit: Archant
Richard Rowe’s day job as a full-time sales assistant for a plumbing supplies merchant could not be a further cry from his new position as an on-call firefighter.
The 24-year-old completed his training for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service this week and is eagerly awaiting his first call.
The Liverpool Football Club fan, who has played football locally for Mepal, will be based at Ely’s fire station, in Egremont Street.
On-call firefighters are trained professionals who respond to emergencies in their communities alongside their day-to-day lives.
They may be at home, work or out and about when they receive a pager alert and straight away they must jump into action and get ready to deal with any incident.
The new recruits are now on-call after completing three months of training at the service’s training centre, in Huntingdon.
On-call firefighters have to be aged 18 and over, have a good level of all-round fitness and live or work within five minutes travelling time of an on-call fire station.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 4 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 5 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service is recruiting on-call firefighters. To find out more call 01480 444500.