‘We remember with gratitude’ – Reminiscing about school days at reunion dinner for Soham Grammarians
- Credit: Archant
It was a chance to fondly remember school days of years gone by as staff and pupils of Soham Grammar School gathered for their annual dinner.
The reunion event for the Soham Grammarians took place in the Beechurst Hall at Soham Village College.
Former friends gathered at their old assembly hall to reminisce about amusing events and characters from their school days.
With the introduction of comprehensive education in 1972, the grammar school and Soham Village College were merged and it ceased to exist in its own right, bringing an end to almost 300 years of history.
Mayor of Ely Mike Rouse, an honorary grammarian, was a guest speaker at the dinner on October 5 which saw a three course meal dished up including wine.
You may also want to watch:
He taught at Soham Village College, is an historian, author and photographer.
"It is right to remember with gratitude the old school, the friends you made, the teachers who made you, in some cases perhaps broke you, but generally did their best for you," Mayor Rouse said in his speech.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph