‘We remember with gratitude’ – Reminiscing about school days at reunion dinner for Soham Grammarians
- Credit: Archant
It was a chance to fondly remember school days of years gone by as staff and pupils of Soham Grammar School gathered for their annual dinner.
The reunion event for the Soham Grammarians took place in the Beechurst Hall at Soham Village College.
Former friends gathered at their old assembly hall to reminisce about amusing events and characters from their school days.
With the introduction of comprehensive education in 1972, the grammar school and Soham Village College were merged and it ceased to exist in its own right, bringing an end to almost 300 years of history.
Mayor of Ely Mike Rouse, an honorary grammarian, was a guest speaker at the dinner on October 5 which saw a three course meal dished up including wine.
You may also want to watch:
He taught at Soham Village College, is an historian, author and photographer.
"It is right to remember with gratitude the old school, the friends you made, the teachers who made you, in some cases perhaps broke you, but generally did their best for you," Mayor Rouse said in his speech.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 3 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 4 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 5 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 6 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 7 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 8 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 9 Retired GP's death 'avoidable' if cause of severe chest pain was 'more thoroughly investigated'
- 10 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash