Returning officer confirms five candidates for SE Cambs election
- Credit: Archant
The full list of candidates standing for the South East Cambridgeshire seat in the upcoming General Election has been confirmed.
The deadline for candidates to put themselves forward for nomination was 4pm today (Thursday) and the list of nominees was confirmed by election returning officer, John Hill, the chief executive of East Cambridgeshire District Council.
Five candidates have declared for SE Cambs, with the Conservatives, Liberal Democrats, Labour, UKIP and Greens all vying for the seat.
Conservative Sir Jim Paice served as MP for the constituency for almost 28 years but announced last year that he would be retiring.
Fellow Conservative Lucy Frazer will be hoping to step into Sir Jim’s shoes after May’s election but will be competing for votes against Jonathan Chatfield (Lib Dem), Clive Semmens (Green), Deborah Rennie (UKIP) and Huw Jones (Labour).
You may also want to watch:
You can hear what the candidates have to say at one of the upcoming hustings events, with meetings due in St Andrew’s Church, Soham, on April 13, at 7pm, or at the Baptist Church, in Haddenham, on Sunday, April 26, at 7pm.
To view the full list of candidates, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment