Retailer brings a smile to area’s volunteer groups
SOHAM S volunteer organisations have received a New Year boost from a local retailer. Jonathan James, owner of the Budgens store on Clay Street,and pictured left, gave away more than £1,000 to nine groups, including Viva, Soham Festival Society and the S
SOHAM'S volunteer organisations have received a New Year boost from a local retailer.
Jonathan James, owner of the Budgens store on Clay Street,and pictured left, gave away more than £1,000 to nine groups, including Viva, Soham Festival Society and the Scouts Guides and Brownies, as part of his annual Community Chest awards scheme.
Mr James said: "As a local family business, we wanted to give something back to the community on a regular basis. The Community Chest Awards allow us to do just that, helping some very worthwhile organisations to improve both facilities and the lives of the community. We hope that these awards allow local groups and organisations the chance to access funding, which would otherwise be very difficult to obtain."
The awards were judged by a customer panel at Budgens and Mr James, and given out in a ceremony.
Peter Beer, who runs Soham Festival Society, said: "The Festival Society has a very small budget and any contribution is a great help."
Other organisations which received funding included the MAGPAS Community First Responder Scheme, the Young Parents' Group, Soham Pre-school, the Community History Museum, the Twinning Association and Soham Community Archive.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 9 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 10 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
The 2008 Community Chest Awards will run from January 1 to August 31. Application forms can be obtained from Budgens.