Retailer brings a smile to area’s volunteer groups
SOHAM S volunteer organisations have received a New Year boost from a local retailer. Jonathan James, owner of the Budgens store on Clay Street,and pictured left, gave away more than £1,000 to nine groups, including Viva, Soham Festival Society and the S
SOHAM'S volunteer organisations have received a New Year boost from a local retailer.
Jonathan James, owner of the Budgens store on Clay Street,and pictured left, gave away more than £1,000 to nine groups, including Viva, Soham Festival Society and the Scouts Guides and Brownies, as part of his annual Community Chest awards scheme.
Mr James said: "As a local family business, we wanted to give something back to the community on a regular basis. The Community Chest Awards allow us to do just that, helping some very worthwhile organisations to improve both facilities and the lives of the community. We hope that these awards allow local groups and organisations the chance to access funding, which would otherwise be very difficult to obtain."
The awards were judged by a customer panel at Budgens and Mr James, and given out in a ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Beer, who runs Soham Festival Society, said: "The Festival Society has a very small budget and any contribution is a great help."
Other organisations which received funding included the MAGPAS Community First Responder Scheme, the Young Parents' Group, Soham Pre-school, the Community History Museum, the Twinning Association and Soham Community Archive.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
The 2008 Community Chest Awards will run from January 1 to August 31. Application forms can be obtained from Budgens.