Resignation calls from bus campaigners
PUBLISHED: 13:34 28 February 2007 | UPDATED: 13:51 04 May 2010
CAMPAIGNERS who fought to save an axed school bus service for Fordham have called for the resignation of councillors and a high-ranking official after three children were hit by a car on their walk home from school. Two girls in their final year at Soham
CAMPAIGNERS who fought to save an axed school bus service for Fordham have called for the resignation of councillors and a high-ranking official after three children were hit by a car on their walk home from school.
Two girls in their final year at Soham Village College were hospitalised after they were struck by a Fiat Bravo at Murfitt's Lane in Fordham last Friday afternoon.
Furious campaigners - who questioned the safety of the pedestrian school route before the bus was withdrawn last year - said emergency staff were amazed that one of the girls had survived after her head struck the windscreen and she was thrown over the car; they have said she suffered short-term amnesia and concussion but is now understood to be recovering.
Another girl was treated at hospital for minor injuries after she was thrown to the ground, while a third child was also knocked to the ground.
Now, in an open letter, the group has called for those responsible for the decision to withdraw the service to resign, including a group of county councillors and one officer.
A Cambridgeshire County Council spokesman said: "We are concerned to hear about this accident and wish all three young people a speedy recovery. However, it would be inappropriate for anyone to speculate on the cause of the accident before any police investigation is complete. When we receive the police report we will consider whether any action needs to be taken.
If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.