Renowned Naturalist Opens New Dragonfly Centre At Wicken Fen
RENOWNED naturalist and TV presenter Chris Packham, was on hand to formally open the brand new national Dragonfly Centre at Wicken Fen on Sunday. The Springwatch presenter joined with reserve staff to welcome dozens of visitors to the opening of the new
RENOWNED naturalist and TV presenter Chris Packham, was on hand to formally open the brand new national Dragonfly Centre at Wicken Fen on Sunday.
The Springwatch presenter joined with reserve staff to welcome dozens of visitors to the opening of the new centre, which will house more than 20 species of dragonfly including several rare species including the Emperor Dragonfly and the Red Eyed Damselfly.
The Dragonfly Centre, the first of its kind in the UK, is a joint initiative between the National Trust, the British Dragonfly Society and the Dragonfly Project and is housed in a renovated former fen worker's cottage.
The centre received a grant of �37,000, the first awarded by the Fens' Adventurers' Local Action Group, the governing body for the locally focussed RDPE programme in Cambridgeshire and West Norfolk Fens.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to visitors before leading a tour of the reserve, Mr Packham said: "Wicken Fen is an incredibly special place and today's opening of the dragonfly centre is very special too.
"My hope is that one of today's young visitors will have a passion implanted and enjoy a lifetime of interest in the natural world. That would be a just reward for all the hard work that the Dragonfly Project and the British Dragonfly Society have put in.
- 1 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Friendship and dating agency gets £114,000 funding boost
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Campaigning for those excluded from government Covid support
- 9 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 10 Grants available for organisations in Ely