Councillors visit award-winning recycling facility in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A tour of the award-winning Ellgia recycling base in Ely was given to councillors and officers at East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC).
Members of ECDC were invited to the site in Lancaster Business Park where they gained an understanding of the business and an insight into recycling.
The visit was part of a wider effort to meet and understand the needs of businesses from across the district.
Ellgia presented innovative ideas and methods for waste management to councillors, including how they fulfil their zero waste to landfill commitment.
They not only offer recycling options for cardboard, paper, plastic, metal and rigid plastic, but also convert left over general waste into a material to fuel power stations and food waste into biogas.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Steve Cheetham, service delivery champion for economic development at ECDC, said: “Councillors thoroughly enjoyed their recent visit to Ellgia. It was a fantastic opportunity to see what the company does and how it works to reduce landfill.
“Ellgia is another example of a business that has decided to grow within the area, with two of their depots based right here in East Cambridgeshire and local offices close by.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Joe Hemsley-Rudd, sales and marketing director, said: “It is great to have interest from East Cambridgeshire District Council. There is a really strong message that needs to be told with regards to waste management.”