Recycling aerosol cans will raise money for Stretham Youth Centre - and help the environment
- Credit: Archant
Stretham Youth Centre has signed up as one of the UK’s first public collection points for AEROCYCLE - turning used cans into outdoor community gyms.
The scheme aims to enable people to recycle empty anti-perspirant and deodorant aerosols whilst raising funds for the youth centre.
For every 400 aerosols the centre sends for recycling, £8 will be donated to the Stretham Youth Centre and used to provide recreational and leisure facilities for young people.
Clair Roe, who will help administrate the centre’s donations, said: “Local people will be reducing the amount of used aerosol deos going to landfill, repurposing the recycled aluminium material to build outdoor gyms and raising much needed funds.
“So please get involved and tell your friends and family to do the same.”
The collected used aerosol deos will be converted to produce aluminium for use in new outdoor gyms in UK locations.
The outdoor gym sites will be selected later this year, with planned installation dates from summer 2016 onwards.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 10 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
The gyms will incorporate a number of pieces of fitness equipment including an energy spinning bike, energy cross trainer, energy recumbent bike, monkey bars, pull ups, dips, leg raise, stretch posts and plyometric platforms.
Local people can drop off their empty anti-perspirant and deodorant aerosols to the AEROCYCLE collection box at 73 High Street in Stretham from Monday to Sunday 24 hours a day.