Recycling aerosol cans will raise money for Stretham Youth Centre - and help the environment
- Credit: Archant
Stretham Youth Centre has signed up as one of the UK’s first public collection points for AEROCYCLE - turning used cans into outdoor community gyms.
The scheme aims to enable people to recycle empty anti-perspirant and deodorant aerosols whilst raising funds for the youth centre.
For every 400 aerosols the centre sends for recycling, £8 will be donated to the Stretham Youth Centre and used to provide recreational and leisure facilities for young people.
Clair Roe, who will help administrate the centre’s donations, said: “Local people will be reducing the amount of used aerosol deos going to landfill, repurposing the recycled aluminium material to build outdoor gyms and raising much needed funds.
“So please get involved and tell your friends and family to do the same.”
You may also want to watch:
The collected used aerosol deos will be converted to produce aluminium for use in new outdoor gyms in UK locations.
The outdoor gym sites will be selected later this year, with planned installation dates from summer 2016 onwards.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
The gyms will incorporate a number of pieces of fitness equipment including an energy spinning bike, energy cross trainer, energy recumbent bike, monkey bars, pull ups, dips, leg raise, stretch posts and plyometric platforms.
Local people can drop off their empty anti-perspirant and deodorant aerosols to the AEROCYCLE collection box at 73 High Street in Stretham from Monday to Sunday 24 hours a day.