Record crowds take part in Sutton’s annual ‘The Beast’ run
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds laced up their running boots to take part in an action-packed day for Sutton’s annual ‘The Beast’ run.
The event on Sunday (June 10) included The Tony Robinson 10K and The Mini Beast Fun Run – which saw record crowds in both races.
It was introduced and hosted by ITV Anglia’s Donovan Blake and featured live music from local songstress Sophie Frear.
The Mini Beast Fun Run, which is a 2.5Km multi-terrain race, saw Ben Isaacson retain his title for the third year, just beating Louis Beningfield.
The first female home was Dana Fraser with Elena Fraser not far behind.
The Tony Robinson 10K is also a multi-terrain race, going off The Isle of Ely and out into the swathes of Fenland into Sutton Gault and beyond.
This year’s winner was Sutton resident Paul Waggit in a time of 35 minutes 23 seconds while the first female home was three-time winner Lisa Marriott in 41 minutes 53 seconds.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 4 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 9 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 10 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
A spokesperson for the event said: “We are delighted that the event was such a success. There are so many people that came and ran and each and every one seemed to have had a great time.”