Queen’s visit to Ely Cathedral for special Maundy service at the cathedral recalled in this look back through the history books
- Credit: Archant
Remember this? It was moment in April 1987 when the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh arrived in Ely for the special Maundy Service at the cathedral.
It was only the third time a reigning monarch has been to the city in 700 years and everyone was determined to make the visit an occasion to remember.
The Royal couple were greeted at the station by officials and drove to the Gallery in a glass topped Rolls-Royce. Their route along Back Hill was lined with cheering, flag-waving crowds.
At the West Door the Queen was greeted by the Bishop of Ely, the Rt Rev Peter Walker.
Inside the cathedral capacity congregation of 2,600 representatives from church and civic life in the diocese waited to witness the distribution of the Royal Maundy which the Queen handed out to 122 pensioners - one man and one woman for each year of her age.
It was a memorable day for pupils from St Mary’s school in Ely who were chosen as the Children of the Royal Almonry.
After the service the Royal couple went over to the crowd who had waited patiently in the spring sunshine 87 04 16
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
This is one of thousands of stories reported in Cambridgeshire newspapers between 1897 and 1990 that you can read and download for free from my Internet Archive site https://archive.org/det…/CambridgeshireScrapbook2018Revision