Back of the net for hockey player Rebecca Daniel as she is picked for the national squad
- Credit: Archant
A King’s Ely’s student has been selected for the under 18’s national hockey squad.
It is another string to the bow of sporting successes for sixth former Rebecca Daniel.
The talented 17 year old represented the under 18’s national hockey squad earlier this month and took part in a two-day training camp at the Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre.
Chanre Bond, head of girls’ games at King’s Ely Senior, said: “We are so proud of Rebecca’s latest hockey success and wish her all the best for what promises to be a very busy and exciting season.”
Rebecca, who lives near Newmarket, was selected following her performances for the Saxon Tigers Under 17s team at the Futures Cup and the England Reds team at the UK School Games.
You may also want to watch:
At the Futures Cup, Rebecca put in some fine displays in their matches against Mercian Lynx, Pennine Pumas and the Celtic Jaguars, with a resounding 9-1 victory over the latter side.
At the school games, the England Reds won silver. In their matches, they drew 2-2 with England Whites, lost 4-0 against Ulster, defeated England Blues 5-1 and in the silver medal match, they defeated Scotland 3-0 with Rebecca scoring the opening goal.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
The school games, supported by National Lottery funding from Sport England and delivered by the Youth Sport Trust, was a major multi-sport event for the most talented young athletes from across the UK.
More than 1,400 young people competed across 11 sports at Loughborough University, including athletics, cricket, cycling, canoeing, netball, rowing and more.
Rebecca’s sporting successes include National Prep School Champion 800m (Years 7 and 8), Cambridgeshire Schools Cross Country Champion twice, Suffolk Cross Country Champion (three times qualifying her for the mini marathon), Anglian Cross Country Champion, English Schools Cross Country Championship (19th in a field of 350 and despite competing a year early!) and she plays National League hockey for Cambridge City.