Back of the net for hockey player Rebecca Daniel as she is picked for the national squad
- Credit: Archant
A King’s Ely’s student has been selected for the under 18’s national hockey squad.
It is another string to the bow of sporting successes for sixth former Rebecca Daniel.
The talented 17 year old represented the under 18’s national hockey squad earlier this month and took part in a two-day training camp at the Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre.
Chanre Bond, head of girls’ games at King’s Ely Senior, said: “We are so proud of Rebecca’s latest hockey success and wish her all the best for what promises to be a very busy and exciting season.”
Rebecca, who lives near Newmarket, was selected following her performances for the Saxon Tigers Under 17s team at the Futures Cup and the England Reds team at the UK School Games.
At the Futures Cup, Rebecca put in some fine displays in their matches against Mercian Lynx, Pennine Pumas and the Celtic Jaguars, with a resounding 9-1 victory over the latter side.
At the school games, the England Reds won silver. In their matches, they drew 2-2 with England Whites, lost 4-0 against Ulster, defeated England Blues 5-1 and in the silver medal match, they defeated Scotland 3-0 with Rebecca scoring the opening goal.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 3 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 8 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 9 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 10 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
The school games, supported by National Lottery funding from Sport England and delivered by the Youth Sport Trust, was a major multi-sport event for the most talented young athletes from across the UK.
More than 1,400 young people competed across 11 sports at Loughborough University, including athletics, cricket, cycling, canoeing, netball, rowing and more.
Rebecca’s sporting successes include National Prep School Champion 800m (Years 7 and 8), Cambridgeshire Schools Cross Country Champion twice, Suffolk Cross Country Champion (three times qualifying her for the mini marathon), Anglian Cross Country Champion, English Schools Cross Country Championship (19th in a field of 350 and despite competing a year early!) and she plays National League hockey for Cambridge City.