MP Steve Barclay’s annual Read to Succeed campaign raises £5,000 in four weeks
- Credit: Archant
MP Steve Barclay’s Read to Succeed campaign is in full swing having already raised more than £5,000 with local businesses, town and district councils all donating.
The campaign is now in its third year with a commitment to get all Year 4 pupils a book to read over the summer.
In the three years that the campaign has run more than 3,000 books have been donated.
The Read to Succeed campaign is supported by The Bishop of Ely, Stephen Conway, teachers, businesses and community groups.
Last year, local libraries recorded a 50 per cent increase in children starting the Summer Reading Challenge as a result of the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Barclay said: “The generosity of the public and businesses is amazing.
“We have reached over £5,000 in only four weeks and I am confident that in the final two weeks we will reach our target of £7,300.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
Donations can be made by BACS, cheque or by telephone.
Visit www.stevebarclay.net/read-to-succeed-2018/ for more information.