Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- Credit: Terry Harris
They’re not the first, probably unlikely to be the last, but motorists driving through flooded Welney Wash Road leave behind a mixed bag of responses.
Some villagers simply notch up another point or two in the annual contest for the unofficial ‘competition’ run by a local Facebook page.
Those taking part get a point for every car towed from the road, two extra points if it’s a van or lorry, and five points if the driver gives up and abandons their vehicle. For the latter you need photographic evidence.
Cruelly, competition entrants get an additional five points if a rescue vehicle sent out to recover a flooded car itself gets stuck.
British sense of humour aside, villagers remain on the whole angry that thoughtless drivers use up valuable emergency services time rescuing stranded motorists.
You may also want to watch:
“The road is still flooded and closed,” says the Welney Flood Watch group that is active each time the road is flooded.
“Find another route.”
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 3 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 4 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 5 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 6 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 7 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 8 Ziggy is missing from Ely - your help is needed
- 9 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 10 Councillor says MP Steve Barclay told Tories to return £10k lockdown grant
Although there was a small drop in river levels overnight, at 2.95m it is still classified very much as a road that is closed.