Ram Raiders Target Ely Petrol Station
A RAM raid on a petrol station near Ely fell flat after thieves failed to break through the front door. The attack took place at about 2am on Monday morning with police alerted to the station s alarm after a red Volvo van drove at high speed in
A RAM raid at a petrol station near Ely fell flat after thieves failed to break through the front door.
The attack took place at about 2am on Monday with police alerted to the station's alarm after a red Volvo van drove at high speed into the front of the Jet petrol station on the A10 between Ely and Littleport.
Despite repeated efforts to smash through the door to the shop, which contained hundreds of pounds in cigarettes and scratch-cards, the raiders managed only to cause minor damage to the frame and brick work around the entrance.
The offenders then stole a bag of logs from the forecourt before fleeing the scene and burning out the van in a nearby field.
You may also want to watch:
Officers have since recovered the vehicle and forensic tests are being carried out to determine who was behind the attack. CCTV footage is also being reviewed. Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact Cambridgeshire Police on 0345 456 4564.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 7 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 10 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park