RAF Airman from Littleport Recieves MBE
AN RAF airman from Littleport is set to receive an MBE for his dedication and long service in the military. Flight Sergeant Christopher Read, 52, will be honoured for more than 30 years of service in the Royal Air Force at a special ceremony at Buckingham
AN RAF airman from Littleport is set to receive an MBE for his dedication and long service in the military.
Flight Sergeant Christopher Read, 52, will be honoured for more than 30 years of service in the Royal Air Force at a special ceremony at Buckingham Palace in the coming weeks.
Born in Cambridge, Sergeant Read moved to Littleport as a youngster and grew up determined to join the RAF, a dream he finally fulfilled after leaving school in Ely aged 18.
Since joining, the father-of-three has served more than three decades as an airman, seeing service in Cyprus and the Falklands as well as playing an instrumental role in keeping a watch on Britain's skies as a radar operator.
You may also want to watch:
Flight Sergeant Read's father Christopher who is 82 Was also in the RAF and said he was "extremely proud" of his son, who he said "couldn't believe it" when he found out he was set to receive the honour,
"Christopher thought that when he left the RAF full-time that that would be it and there wouldn't be much more for him so he couldn't believe it when he found out he would be receiving an MBE," he said.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 3 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 6 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
- 7 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 8 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 9 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 10 Our guide to The Library Presents' spring outdoor events series
8847: Flight Sergeant Christopher Read.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE