Race to replace Sutton councillor gets under way
- Credit: Archant
Candidates to replace former councillor Peter Moakes are being asked to submit their nomination papers before March 26.
Mr Moakes resigned as Conservative district councillor for Sutton earlier this month and cited “disquiet” over the way a series of proposed job cuts were being handled at East Cambridgeshire District Council.
Mr Moakes, a former leader of the council, alleged that the proposals had been pushed through by Conservative leader James Palmer without consultation with the rest of the party, something Cllr Palmer has denied.
Now, the race to replace him as councillor is under way, with an election due to take place on Thursday, April 24, in the village.
Potential candidates can collect their official nomination papers from electoral services offices at the district council or download them from www.eastcambs.gov.uk to put themselves forward.
The deadline for completed nomination papers is noon on March 26.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 10 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy