Race day in Newmarket raises money for animal health charity
- Credit: Archant
Newmarket is hosting a charity race day for the Animal Health Trust as it celebrates its 75th anniversary.
On Saturday June 10 the racecourse in Newmarket plays host to a fundraising gala day.
Noel Byrne, chair of the race day committee, said: “This year I hope the day will be supported by even more animal lovers as we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the AHT, and the significant difference it has made for horses, dogs and cats during that time.
“I am very proud to be a trustee of the AHT and have seen first-hand how the vital funds raised aid their dedicated team of vets, nurses and scientists in helping even more animals.
“If you have a horse, dog or cat, then you really should come and join us for a great day of racing – even if you’ve never needed their help directly, the scientific research they have contributed will have helped your pet.
You may also want to watch:
“The AHT is an unsung hero and as pet owners we all owe a debt of gratitude to the charity for the help it has given us all, indirectly, over the last 75 years.”
The AHT works behind the scenes to ensure animals have a fighting chance of beating diseases like cancer, epilepsy, strangles and equine flu.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
The Gala Race Day is a key fundraising event for this work.
Dr Mark Vaudin, AHT chief executive, said: “Alongside work benefitting dogs and cats, we are committed to supporting the racing industry through working to combat equine diseases.
“We need your help to keep horses healthy and fit to compete, so that we can all continue to enjoy equine sports such as racing.
“In our 75th year, we’ve incredibly proud of the difference we have already made for horses, dogs and cats but we have so much more to do.
“In order to do this we rely on donations from the public so please place a bid on the auction, drop some of your winnings into one of our charity buckets or make a donation when you buy your tickets.”
• Tickets from newmarket.thejockeyclub.co.uk.
• Join the online charity auction where you can win amazing prizes, including luxury holidays and sporting events www.aht.org.uk/galaraceday.