Pushed partner against a wall
POLICE called out to a disturbance in Soham saw James Barnes assaulting his partner Lisa Atkins. Barnes held her wrist and pushed her against a wall, prosecutor Francesca Devine told Ely magistrates. There had been an earlier argument, when Barnes threw
POLICE called out to a disturbance in Soham saw James Barnes assaulting his partner Lisa Atkins.
Barnes held her wrist and pushed her against a wall, prosecutor Francesca Devine told Ely magistrates.
There had been an earlier argument, when Barnes threw Ms Atkins' hairbrush at a wall. Ms Atkins curled up on the floor because she was afraid.
The previous night, Barnes had come home late. There was an argument and he threw her drinking glass and smashed it, she added. Barnes had refused to let Ms Atkins leave the kitchen, and pushed her.
Barnes had denied throwing a glass, but agreed a drink was spilt. He denied throwing the hairbrush. He said both he and Ms Atkins had pushed each other.
Barnes, 37, formerly of Blackthorn Court in Soham, but now without a permanent address, admitted assaulting Ms Atkins on June 2.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
"She was pushed against a clothes rail," explained solicitor Jacqui Baldwin. "He pushed her against a wall to stop her from leaving the property, he accepts that.
"The complainant is a strong business lady. But it is accepted that Barnes' behaviour was not acceptable by the court. He did try to prevent her from going, and pushed her against the wall.