Drug addict from Ely – who was caught having sex at Ely Cathedral in 2010 – jailed for three years after burgling home while ‘out of control’ on drugs
- Credit: Archant
Prolific burglar Stephen Neal, who was once fined £130 after he was caught having sex in the grounds of Ely Cathedral, has been jailed for three years after burgling a house while “out of control” on drugs.
Neal was caught after a member of the public reported him “falling around” and clearly the worse for wear for drugs when he broke into the home on Lynn Road, Ely on Friday, March 30.
The court heard how the 31-year-old forced his way into the French doors before stealing a UK passport, a driver’s license and a wallet containing £200 between 1am and 7am.
Neal, of High Barnes, Ely, was arrested shortly after the incident at around 7.30am when officers were called to Elmfield. He was found in possession of the stolen cash and documents.
Neal pleaded guilty to burglary at Cambridge Crown Court on August 1 and was sentenced to three years in prison. He was also ordered to pay the victim £200 compensation.
You may also want to watch:
DC Sean Denby said: “Neal is a prolific offender with this incident and has received a sentence which reflects this.
“This conviction should serve as a warning to anyone thinking of committing burglary. It remains a priority for the force and officers are actively seeking to disrupt and bring offenders to justice.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
In 2012, Neale was burgling a home in St Mary’s Street when the owner returned. Neal ran off but the victim chased him and caught up with him.
Neal initially claimed he had been hiding from people he owed money to, but later pleaded guilty to burglary. He was jailed for two years and five months at the same court.
The next year, in 2013, Neal was caught red-handed when a quick thinking homeowner pulled out a video camera when he spotted him loitering in his garden.
Eight years ago he made the headlines for a different reason when he was caught by worshippers at Ely Cathedral semi-naked while having sex with his partner in the grounds of the Cathedral on July 26, 2010.
Ely magistrates’ heard that the half-naked lovers adjusted their clothes and apologised, claiming they had simply got ‘’carried away’’.