Progress of the soccer fan seriously assaulted as he attended Cambridge United match at Southend
- Credit: Archant
A football fan from Mildenhall has continued to make progress in hospital after he was knocked unconscious in March whilst attending a Cambridge match at Southend.
Simon Dobbin, 43, ended up in a coma after the attack – for which 16 men have been arrested and bailed- and is now recovering in a rehabilitation centre in Norwich.
His wife said there had been “a fantastic change” in him once he had been moved but he still faces a lengthy battle for recovery.
It could be a year before doctors are able to assess his chances of a full recovery.
“There was a fantastic change in him within 24 hours of him being moved,” said Mrs Dobbin. “He’s fighting - he’s so alert, it’s like a light’s been switched on.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Dobbin was assaulted along with a small group of other fans on March 21.
It happened after a game between Mr Dobbin’s club and Southend United at around 7.15pm in East Street, Southend.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
A group of men came out of the Railway Tavern and attacked the group leaving Mr Dobbin unconscious and with a head injury.
He was transferred to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge and was placed in a medically induced coma.
He is now conscious but remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition.
DCI Martin Pasmore, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, who is leading the investigation, said: “Our investigation is progressing and it will take time to piece together the actions of all those involved but my team and I are determined to bring those responsible for this sickening attack to justice.
“I want to make it clear that Mr Dobbin was an entirely innocent person enjoying a day out watching a football match.
“He was not involved in any earlier quarrels or incidents and it could have been anyone’s loved one attacked on the day and now looking at the possibility of having to live with a permanent brain injury.
“I ask that those who know what happened do the right thing and make contact either directly or in confidence through Crimestoppers.”
Witnesses or anyone with information are asked to call the Harlow Major Investigation Room on 01279 621802 or ringl Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org