Proceeds of Burwell Carnival shared out among its supporters
- Credit: Archant
More than £7,000 raised at this year’s Burwell Carnival was shared out between 33 local groups at a presentation evening.
Cheques were handed out by the carnival king and queen, Frazer Warren and Ellen Fuller, after carnival supporters had been entertained by Burwell Community Choir.
Supporters who received the cash had helped at the carnival in a variety of ways, from joining the parade to providing entertainment and games, with other discretionary payments being made to organisations including Burwell Surgery.
Peter Lancaster, co-chairman of the carnival committee, said: “The amount of funds raised was down on last year, due partly to greater expenses and fees.
“However, the parade bucket collection was the biggest ever, at over £1600, which is an amazing effort of Burwellians giving us their collected coppers as more than 15 floats and walkers pounded the streets.”
You may also want to watch:
Engraved shields were presented to the float competition winners. First prize went to Montessori Nursery, 1st Burwell Brownies were second, and Burwell Early Learners were placed third. Top prize in the adult competition went to Burwell Print.
Mr Lancaster added: “We are very grateful to Manchetts Budgens for supplying a hamper for a raffle on the night and the sponsorship they Manchetts Group provides to the carnival each year.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
A local band of Year 10 pupils from Bottisham, The Staycations, completed the evening’s entertainment.
• The next carnival fund raiser is a comedy night at Burwell Village College on Saturday November 23 at 7.30pm.