‘Proceed with great care’ when driving on Red Fen Road in Little Thetford warn concerned police
- Credit: Archant
Guidance has been issued by police who say they are concerned about the speed of vehicles using Red Fen Road in Little Thetford.
Sergeant Phil Priestley said: “Red Fen Road is an unrestricted highway that connects Little Thetford and the A10 to Witchford and Wilburton via Grunty Fen Road.
“Although the speed limit on this stretch of road, by law, is 60 miles per hour, it is generous to refer to it as more than a country lane.
“In addition to the general capacity of this road, it is also used by pedestrians, horse riders and farm traffic.
“The adjoining A10 is restricted to 50 miles per hour, whereas Red Fen Road is unrestricted.
“This may give a false impression to motorists that it is appropriate to speed up here. It really isn’t.
“This is a relatively narrow piece of road and in the best conditions there are a number of hazards that the driver cannot control.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 8 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 9 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
“In the autumn and winter time the conditions always become more severe.
“The subject of the speed limit in this area is coming up for review by East Cambridgeshire District Council.
“Regardless of whether the speed limit changes on Red Fen Road we remind all drivers that speed limits are not targets, and to please proceed with great care on this piece of highway particularly.”