‘Proceed with great care’ when driving on Red Fen Road in Little Thetford warn concerned police
- Credit: Archant
Guidance has been issued by police who say they are concerned about the speed of vehicles using Red Fen Road in Little Thetford.
Sergeant Phil Priestley said: “Red Fen Road is an unrestricted highway that connects Little Thetford and the A10 to Witchford and Wilburton via Grunty Fen Road.
“Although the speed limit on this stretch of road, by law, is 60 miles per hour, it is generous to refer to it as more than a country lane.
“In addition to the general capacity of this road, it is also used by pedestrians, horse riders and farm traffic.
“The adjoining A10 is restricted to 50 miles per hour, whereas Red Fen Road is unrestricted.
You may also want to watch:
“This may give a false impression to motorists that it is appropriate to speed up here. It really isn’t.
“This is a relatively narrow piece of road and in the best conditions there are a number of hazards that the driver cannot control.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
“In the autumn and winter time the conditions always become more severe.
“The subject of the speed limit in this area is coming up for review by East Cambridgeshire District Council.
“Regardless of whether the speed limit changes on Red Fen Road we remind all drivers that speed limits are not targets, and to please proceed with great care on this piece of highway particularly.”