Practice will make perfect
CHILDREN from across the county began rehearsals on Saturday for a spectacular one-off concert at Ely Cathedral on May 1. Young choristers between eight and 13 have been chosen from schools in the district and as far afield as Linton and Chatteris to make
CHILDREN from across the county began rehearsals on Saturday for a spectacular one-off concert at Ely Cathedral on May 1.
Young choristers between eight and 13 have been chosen from schools in the district and as far afield as Linton and Chatteris to make up the 120-strong choir, christened the Ely Imps.
The group started rehearsals on Saturday for a performance of John Rutter's Mass of the Children at the cathedral, which will be conducted by the highly-respected composer himself.
Director of music at the cathedral Paul Trepte said the response to the open auditions had been astounding.
You may also want to watch:
"I had in mind a choir of about 60 boys and girls," he said.
"But the number of children who could satisfy the standards required was double that - it just goes to show how natural it is for children to sing."
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
John Rutter has had a long relationship with the cathedral and has made many professional recordings in The Lady Chapel, and proceeds from the May 1 concert will go to the Cathedral Music Appeal.
The May Day concert will also feature a performance from classical "boy band" The Choirboys, two of whom are Ely choristers. The trio is just back from a tour of Japan following their top ten classical album charting over Christmas and a sell-out performance at Ely Cathedral in December.
INFO: Tickets for the May 1 concert, priced between £5-18 are on sale. Contact 01353 660349 or e-mail: box.office @cathedral.ely.anglian.org