‘Racing potatoes’: Ely’s annual Potato Race is returning to the city this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s “thrilling” Potato Race is returning to the city for its seventh year!
The annual relay race, organised by Isle of Ely Produce in conjunction with more than 30 local farmers, is being held on Saturday, October 13.
The event, which coincides with Ely Cathedral’s Harvest Festival, will be opened by the Mayor of Ely Mike Rouse and the race will begin at 11am.
Austen Dack, race organiser, said: “Last year we had racing potatoe ambulance crews, plus a fireman in full kit running the course.
“This year we have a panto dame a basket ball team and a host of fitness clubs among the entrants.”
Each competitor is required to run the race with a 20kg or 10kg bag of potatoes on their back.
Oliver Boutwood, director of Isle of Ely Produce, said: “Last year’s race was amazing – more than 1,000 people lined the streets and helped us raise over £2,000 for local schools and charities.”
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 10 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
“The race fits in nicely with our campaign which highlights the journey the potato makes from field to the frier. It also brings agriculture into our city, and people love to see the races.”
The team – as well as calling for spectators and runners – are also looking for local sponsors. All money raised will go to local charities.
The cost of entering a team of two people is £10.
To enter, call: 01353 863355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.