Potato crop was damaged by a car that landed up in field
AROUND �1,000 worth of potatoes were damaged when motorist John Daffin ploughed into a field late at night, while followed by police.
Earlier, Daffin had almost collided with a police car, and officers followed him as he made his way down a drove at Littleport.
Prosecutor Marti Blair told Ely magistrates: “Police were on patrol in the Hale Fen area, where a number of cars had been dumped and burned out.
“On a single dirt track, they noticed a Ford Mondeo car coming towards them, they had to take evasive action and move out of the way. The police turned round, and the Mondeo drove away with wheels spinning, leaving a trail of dust, The vehicle was driven in an erratic manner. The police lost sight of his car for 30 seconds, it is believed he turned the lights out.
“After a search, the car was found in a field of potatoes, the farmer estimates �1,000 worth of damage to his crop.”
When arrested, Daffin told police he was intended to scrap the car the following day; he accepted he had no insurance or licence.
Daffin. 18, admitted driving in Croft Drove at Hale Fen in Littleport without due care and attention on July 23.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 5 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
Sentencing was adjourned for seven days.