Potato crop was damaged by a car that landed up in field
AROUND �1,000 worth of potatoes were damaged when motorist John Daffin ploughed into a field late at night, while followed by police.
Earlier, Daffin had almost collided with a police car, and officers followed him as he made his way down a drove at Littleport.
Prosecutor Marti Blair told Ely magistrates: “Police were on patrol in the Hale Fen area, where a number of cars had been dumped and burned out.
“On a single dirt track, they noticed a Ford Mondeo car coming towards them, they had to take evasive action and move out of the way. The police turned round, and the Mondeo drove away with wheels spinning, leaving a trail of dust, The vehicle was driven in an erratic manner. The police lost sight of his car for 30 seconds, it is believed he turned the lights out.
“After a search, the car was found in a field of potatoes, the farmer estimates �1,000 worth of damage to his crop.”
You may also want to watch:
When arrested, Daffin told police he was intended to scrap the car the following day; he accepted he had no insurance or licence.
Daffin. 18, admitted driving in Croft Drove at Hale Fen in Littleport without due care and attention on July 23.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 9 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 10 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
Sentencing was adjourned for seven days.