Postman beware! Mayor of Ely enlists the Scouts in battle for Christmas post
- Credit: Archant
The mayor of Ely has teamed up with Scouts from across East Cambridgeshire to take on the Royal Mail over the Christmas period.
Cllr Elaine Griffin-Singh and Scout troops in Ely, Stretham, Littleport, Witchford, Witcham, Haddenham, Little Downham, Wilburton, Sutton and Little Thetford will be offering their very own Christmas card delivery service.
Special stamps will be available for 25p and can be purchased at participating shops, which will also take delivery of cards ready for posting.
The cards will be taken to Ely’s former magistrates’ court, in Lynn Road, for sorting before being taken to their destinations and delivered by Scouts – who are guaranteeing delivery in time for Christmas!
The mayor said: “It’s a really good idea that was suggested to me by my sister, who had seen it being run by Scouts in other parts of the country.
You may also want to watch:
“20p from each of the stamps sold will be going to the Scouts and 5p will go to the mayor’s charity so we’re hoping to raise lots of money and get the Scouts some new badges as well!”
The stamps will be on sale at Ely shops Amore Vita, Roly’s Fudge Pantry, The Eel Catcher’s Daughter, Mr Simm’s Olde Sweet Shop, Exquisite, Grape Tree, Betty Marshmallow, Spar, in New Barns Road, and One Stop, in St John’s Road.
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
The ‘post boxes’ will be available in all of the participating shops and are being made by Jardin Corrugated Cases, of Sutton.
Stamps will be available from November 25 and will be withdrawn from sale on December 20.
INFO: Visit www.elydistrictscouts.co.uk/scoutpost