Post Office hoping to extend car park stay for another five months as it awaits results of consultation
- Credit: Archant
The Post Office has applied to East Cambridgeshire District Council to extend its stay in the Paradise Centre car park for another five months - just in case a proposed move into Market Street falls through.
Last month, Post Office announced it was in talks to open a new branch as part of a convenience store that businessman Devinder Singh plans to open in Market Street.
Mr Singh will open the post office – with Sunday opening and longer weekday hours - if proposals for using part of Central Hall are agreed.
If approved, the new premises will be some 500 metres from the current temporary building in Newham Street, but Post Office Ltd has erred on the side of caution by applying to extend its stay in the car park until December.
Ely’s post office branch has operated from a temporary building since November last year due to the lease expiry for Lloydspharmacy, in High Street, where the branch had been based.
You may also want to watch:
The consultation on the Market Street move is due to close on September 17. Submissions can be made during the consultation by Freepost YOUR COMMENTS to Post Office Ltd, via email to email@example.com, via the customer helpline on 08457 22 33 44 or Textphone 08457 22 33 55. The consultation has been extended to cover the summer holiday period.
Customers can also share their views online through a questionnaire at postofficeviews.co.uk with the branch code 164113.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 9 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 10 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire