Popular village fete is cancelled as organisers bemoan lack of volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A popular village fete has been cancelled because of a lack of volunteers.
Haddenham’s annual Blossoms and Bygones event has been running for more than 25 years but organisers have been forced to postpone this year’s event, due to take place in May, because no new volunteers came forward to help support it.
Several members of the organising committee, who have been involved with the event for decades, decided to step down after last year but their places have not been filled in time to get the event off the ground.
Cllr Gareth Wilson, who is treasurer of the Arkenstall committee, said: “It was very disappointing news. I would like to have done something, even if it was a smaller event, but it turned out to be too late.
“Unfortunately, it will mean less money for the Arkenstall Centre and less money for many local charities, which is a great pity.”
You may also want to watch:
As part of Blossoms and Bygones, a series of activities and events are held between Haddenham and neighbouring Aldreth, including 1940s recreations, tractor rides, stalls and games.
The village’s windmill, brick and tile museum and galleries are also opened for the public to enjoy.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
Cllr Pauline Wilson, who lives in Haddenham, added: “It is a great shame. Whether they will be able to get something going again I’m not sure because once an event like that stops, it is very difficult to get it back.
“Hopefully, when people realise that it isn’t on this year, they will come forward and help.”
If you would like to help with the event, contact the Arkenstall Village Centre on 01353 749099.