Popular village fete is cancelled as organisers bemoan lack of volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A popular village fete has been cancelled because of a lack of volunteers.
Haddenham’s annual Blossoms and Bygones event has been running for more than 25 years but organisers have been forced to postpone this year’s event, due to take place in May, because no new volunteers came forward to help support it.
Several members of the organising committee, who have been involved with the event for decades, decided to step down after last year but their places have not been filled in time to get the event off the ground.
Cllr Gareth Wilson, who is treasurer of the Arkenstall committee, said: “It was very disappointing news. I would like to have done something, even if it was a smaller event, but it turned out to be too late.
“Unfortunately, it will mean less money for the Arkenstall Centre and less money for many local charities, which is a great pity.”
You may also want to watch:
As part of Blossoms and Bygones, a series of activities and events are held between Haddenham and neighbouring Aldreth, including 1940s recreations, tractor rides, stalls and games.
The village’s windmill, brick and tile museum and galleries are also opened for the public to enjoy.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 3 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 4 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 5 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 8 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 9 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
Cllr Pauline Wilson, who lives in Haddenham, added: “It is a great shame. Whether they will be able to get something going again I’m not sure because once an event like that stops, it is very difficult to get it back.
“Hopefully, when people realise that it isn’t on this year, they will come forward and help.”
If you would like to help with the event, contact the Arkenstall Village Centre on 01353 749099.