Popular village fete is cancelled as organisers bemoan lack of volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A popular village fete has been cancelled because of a lack of volunteers.
Haddenham’s annual Blossoms and Bygones event has been running for more than 25 years but organisers have been forced to postpone this year’s event, due to take place in May, because no new volunteers came forward to help support it.
Several members of the organising committee, who have been involved with the event for decades, decided to step down after last year but their places have not been filled in time to get the event off the ground.
Cllr Gareth Wilson, who is treasurer of the Arkenstall committee, said: “It was very disappointing news. I would like to have done something, even if it was a smaller event, but it turned out to be too late.
“Unfortunately, it will mean less money for the Arkenstall Centre and less money for many local charities, which is a great pity.”
As part of Blossoms and Bygones, a series of activities and events are held between Haddenham and neighbouring Aldreth, including 1940s recreations, tractor rides, stalls and games.
The village’s windmill, brick and tile museum and galleries are also opened for the public to enjoy.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 4 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 8 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 9 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 10 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
Cllr Pauline Wilson, who lives in Haddenham, added: “It is a great shame. Whether they will be able to get something going again I’m not sure because once an event like that stops, it is very difficult to get it back.
“Hopefully, when people realise that it isn’t on this year, they will come forward and help.”
If you would like to help with the event, contact the Arkenstall Village Centre on 01353 749099.