Popular farmers’ market to celebrate anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s farmers’ market is preparing to celebrate 15 years of providing shoppers with some of the best local produce around.
The anniversary event is taking place on June 27 and will be marked with food demonstrations, the chance to sample tasters of delicacies available for sale as well as the opportunity to enter a prize draw to win a hamper of goodies.
The celebrations will begin with a special stall opening at 8.30am where visitors will be able to give their memories of the market on special blackboards ahead of watching Luke Chambers, chef at the Royal Standard, prepare tasty dishes using produce from the market from 10.30am.
At noon, there will be the cutting of 15th birthday celebration cake – made by farmers’ market regular - Sophie Elliott of Sophie’s Cakes.
Tracey Harding, team leader tourism at East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “The farmers’ market in Ely is one of the most successful activities the local authority helps to deliver. It has grown and grown from humble beginnings to become - 15 years later – a thriving market which is now very much part of Ely’s DNA.
You may also want to watch:
“This is down to the wonderful produce and fantastic traders we have had on the Market over the years – many who have since gone on to develop a business from their stalls.”
For information on all these activities visit www.visitely.org.uk and follow us on Twitter @visitely and leave comments with the #Marketmemories hashtag.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k