It’s Chico Time in Ely! Chart topper to switch on the Christmas lights
- Credit: Archant
It’s going to be Chico time in Ely when the X Factor popstar switches on the Christmas lights later this month.
The 48-year-old has been announced as the main star for the 15th anniversary of the switch on in the city.
Thousands are set to descend on Ely from 4pm on Friday November 29.
Chico shot to fame after reaching the quarter-finals of the The X Factor in 2005.
In 2006 he went to number one with his single 'It's Chico Time' - knocking Madonna off the top of the charts.
Chico's appearance in Ely is a huge scoop for the Christmas lights team, who feared that they wouldn't be able reach the target sponsorship for the event earlier this year.
Since his X Factor years Chico has staged fundraising events for his charity the Rainbow Child Foundation.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 6 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 9 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
He is currently in talks for his own children's TV show to teach a positive attitude through song and dance.
The cast of KD Productions panto Dick Whittington will also be on stage on the night to get the crowd pumped before Father Christmas performs some magic.