Poor Millie the cat found by RSPCA in ‘extreme state of neglect’ - Ely woman disqualified from keeping all animals for two years
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Cambridgeshire has been disqualified from keeping animals after she admitted causing unnecessary suffering to her cat.
Sarah-Jane Harrison, of Larkfield Road, Ely, appeared at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court yesterday in relation to her cat, Millie.
The 58-year-old pleaded guilty to offences under the Animal Welfare Act. She admitted to causing unnecessary suffering by failing to seek veterinary care to explore and address her deteriorating physical condition.
She was disqualified from keeping all animals for two years and made to pay £500 costs.
The RSPCA was called in July after concern about Millie, who was found in an extremely poorly state.
You may also want to watch:
She was taken straight to a vet who sadly said that she was so unwell that she would have to be put to sleep prevent further suffering.
Alex Coghlan, RSPCA inspector, said: “Poor Millie was in an extreme state of neglect when I found her.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
“She was very underweight, had secretions coming from her nose and eyes, and her left ear was full of blood and maggots.
“It was awful. There is no way anyone could not have known she was unwell and needed to see a vet.”
He added: “This is a reminder that all owners have a duty of care towards their pets. It is their responsibility to make sure they are taken care of and are taken to see a vet when they are unwell.”