Police work through more than 100 leads in search for attacker
DETECTIVES investigating a series of sexual assaults in Cambridge have eliminated more than 100 people from the inquiry.
A dedicated team of officers have been working on Operation Majesty in a bid to identify the offender responsible for eight offences between August and March.
Since the operation was launched in November, more than 100 men have been identified and subsequently eliminated by police.
Patrols have been increased in the areas where the offences occurred, with 16 officers deployed throughout the day and night.
In addition, five PCSOs have been out on the streets distributing leaflets and posters featuring an e-fit of the offender in a bid to raise awareness.
You may also want to watch:
Police have followed up more than 175 leads and have received calls from as far afield as Ireland.
Detective Sergeant Phil Priestley, who is the Deputy Senior Investigator, said: “Operation Majesty is currently the number one priority for this policing division.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
“We have a dedicated team working on this inquiry and are committed to catching the man responsible for these offences.
“I would like to thank members of the community who have co-operated with our inquiries so far. We have achieved a great deal thanks to the involvement of members of the public, local businesses and community groups.
“I would continue to appeal to members of the public to get in touch if they have any information about these incidents. No matter how trivial it may seem, it may prove vital in tracing the offender and bringing him to justice.
“It is still more than likely that someone has recognised the e-Fit image but not contacted us to name the offender.”
The offender is described as white, 20 to 30, 5’10’’ to six foot, of medium build and physically strong. He has short dark hair, stubble and wears a black jacket over a grey hooded jumper - which may have a number 3 on the back.
The most recent incident happened on Monday, March 7, in the Mill Pond area, in Mill Lane, Cambridge at around 11pm, as a woman in her 20s walked home. A man rode up beside the victim and grabbed her before riding off.
Detectives are also linking an incident on Monday, August 30, to the series after the victim identified the man who attacked her as the man in the e-fit. The incident happened at around 2.30pm in Grange Road, Newnham when a man on a bike grabbed her, before cycling off.
The other six incidents occurred between Thursday, November 11, and Monday, February 7, in the Newnham area of the city. The first happened at 1.15am on November 11, when a 21-year-old woman was grabbed in Adams Road.
A 29-year-old woman was then assaulted in Silver Street at about midnight on Wednesday, November 17.
The following day, at around the same time, a 21-year-old woman was assaulted in Sidgwick Avenue. A 19-year-old woman was grabbed in the same street at 2am on Thursday, December 2.
A 32-year-old woman was assaulted in Grantchester Meadows at 3am on Christmas morning.
A further offence was committed in Shelly Row at 12.30am on Monday, February 7, when a 27-year-old woman was grabbed. The offender ran off when the victim screamed.
In every incident the offender has run off when the victim began struggling or screaming.
Anyone with any information should call the Operation Majesty team on 0345 456 456 4 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.