Police Were Surprised That Cannabis Plant Grew So Big
POLICE raided a house in Little Thetford and found a huge cannabis plant growing in the garden. Unemployed John Cartwright, 48, arrived home at New Close Road on July 17 to find police bagging up four more cannabis plants and growing equipment in his she
POLICE raided a house in Little Thetford and found a huge cannabis plant growing in the garden.
Unemployed John Cartwright, 48, arrived home at New Close Road on July 17 to find police bagging up four more cannabis plants and growing equipment in his shed. He promptly handed over a bag of herbal cannabis and some resin, Ely magistrates were told.
Cartwright, who had been using for the past five years, told police at interview that he smoked cannabis for his bad back. He had tried osteopathy and all other methods, but the drug helped him to sleep.
Finding cannabis bought from dealers too expensive, Cartwright decided to grow his own and was handed a seed by a friend which grew to 5ft 8in tall in the garden of Cartwright's rented home. Even the police were surprised it had grown that big, the court heard.
You may also want to watch:
"We are obviously always concerned when drugs are involved," magistrate Bryant Watson said, sentencing. "We accept that you are using this as a form of pain relief but there are others which are legal, and you should look to those."
Cartwright, who pleaded guilty to production of cannabis, was handed a £200 fine, ordered to pay £100 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
An order was made to forfeit and destroy the drugs.