Police to investigate after complaints over ‘hateful’ leaflet
- Credit: Archant
Police are set to investigate after a leaflet likening homosexuality to paedophilia while claiming that it can be “healed” was posted through letter boxes in Ely.
The leaflet, which started to appear on doormats at the beginning of the month, claims that being gay is a disease and that it has become a dangerous cult.
The printed leaflet does not carry the name of any group or organisation on it but refers regularly to Christian scripture and moral teachings.
Cambridgeshire police confirmed to the Ely Standard that several complaints about the leaflet had been received by officers and that an investigation would be launched.
A spokesman said: “We have received a number of reports about the leaflets and are treating the matter as a hate incident.
“We are liaising with local and national partners about the leaflets and investigations are ongoing.”
The leaflet reads: “Homosexuality, as well as being a sin and a vice, is essentially a neurosis, a pathological condition; the result of several factors including childhood experiences.
- 1 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You have your say
- 10 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
“If the practice of homosexuality is acceptable, then in time any form of sexual deviation, perversion and experimentation will be acceptable, including the progressive lowering of the age of consent, taking it below the age of puberty and thus legalising paedophilia. A common form of homosexuality is pederasty.
“The condition of homosexuality can be treated and healed, as all distorted sexuality can be healed, and as many cases in recent years have proved.
The leaflet goes on to suggest that gay people should not be persecuted but says that should also “not be encouraged”. “They need healing not approval” the leaflet claims.
At its end, the leaflet denies it is homophobic saying that the term is a misnomer, translating literally to ‘fear of men’ and not fear of homosexuals.