Police to investigate after complaints over ‘hateful’ leaflet
- Credit: Archant
Police are set to investigate after a leaflet likening homosexuality to paedophilia while claiming that it can be “healed” was posted through letter boxes in Ely.
The leaflet, which started to appear on doormats at the beginning of the month, claims that being gay is a disease and that it has become a dangerous cult.
The printed leaflet does not carry the name of any group or organisation on it but refers regularly to Christian scripture and moral teachings.
Cambridgeshire police confirmed to the Ely Standard that several complaints about the leaflet had been received by officers and that an investigation would be launched.
A spokesman said: “We have received a number of reports about the leaflets and are treating the matter as a hate incident.
“We are liaising with local and national partners about the leaflets and investigations are ongoing.”
The leaflet reads: “Homosexuality, as well as being a sin and a vice, is essentially a neurosis, a pathological condition; the result of several factors including childhood experiences.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 9 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
“If the practice of homosexuality is acceptable, then in time any form of sexual deviation, perversion and experimentation will be acceptable, including the progressive lowering of the age of consent, taking it below the age of puberty and thus legalising paedophilia. A common form of homosexuality is pederasty.
“The condition of homosexuality can be treated and healed, as all distorted sexuality can be healed, and as many cases in recent years have proved.
The leaflet goes on to suggest that gay people should not be persecuted but says that should also “not be encouraged”. “They need healing not approval” the leaflet claims.
At its end, the leaflet denies it is homophobic saying that the term is a misnomer, translating literally to ‘fear of men’ and not fear of homosexuals.