Police Crackdown Ahead Of World Cup On Drivers Who Drink and Take Drugs
A CAMPAIGN to crack down on drivers who drive while under the influence of drink and drugs has been launched in Cambridgeshire today (Tuesday June 1).The national campaign will run throughout June and will see stop checks across the county to breath-test
A CAMPAIGN to crack down on drivers who drive while under the influence of drink and drugs has been launched in Cambridgeshire today (Tuesday June 1).
The national campaign will run throughout June and will see stop checks across the county to breath-test drivers and carry out Field Impairment Tests to check whether drivers are under the influence of drugs.
Insp Chris Skepper said: "As the weather warms up and with the World Cup there is likely to be an increase in the number of people socialising, celebrating and drinking.
"Anyone doing so and planning on driving has a responsibility to themselves and other road users to ensure they do not drive under the influence.
You may also want to watch:
"Our message is clear - if you drive under the influence of drink and drugs, expect to be caught and brought to justice."
Last year (2009) 113 people were arrested during the summer campaign, compared to 133 the previous year (2008).
- 1 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 2 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 6 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Insp Chris Skepper added: "Cambridgeshire Constabulary is committed to reducing the number of drink drivers and we will do all we can to ensure that those over the limit or under the influence of drugs are caught and dealt with appropriately.
"Drink and drug drivers are not only putting their own lives at risk but also the lives of others.