Police Crackdown Ahead Of World Cup On Drivers Who Drink and Take Drugs
A CAMPAIGN to crack down on drivers who drive while under the influence of drink and drugs has been launched in Cambridgeshire today (Tuesday June 1).The national campaign will run throughout June and will see stop checks across the county to breath-test
A CAMPAIGN to crack down on drivers who drive while under the influence of drink and drugs has been launched in Cambridgeshire today (Tuesday June 1).
The national campaign will run throughout June and will see stop checks across the county to breath-test drivers and carry out Field Impairment Tests to check whether drivers are under the influence of drugs.
Insp Chris Skepper said: "As the weather warms up and with the World Cup there is likely to be an increase in the number of people socialising, celebrating and drinking.
"Anyone doing so and planning on driving has a responsibility to themselves and other road users to ensure they do not drive under the influence.
"Our message is clear - if you drive under the influence of drink and drugs, expect to be caught and brought to justice."
Last year (2009) 113 people were arrested during the summer campaign, compared to 133 the previous year (2008).
- 1 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 2 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 3 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 4 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 5 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 6 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 7 Vehicle fire caused heavy traffic on A14
- 8 County Day hopes to shine light on young farmers of Cambridgeshire
- 9 Life sentence confirmed for Rikki Neave murderer
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
Insp Chris Skepper added: "Cambridgeshire Constabulary is committed to reducing the number of drink drivers and we will do all we can to ensure that those over the limit or under the influence of drugs are caught and dealt with appropriately.
"Drink and drug drivers are not only putting their own lives at risk but also the lives of others.